Monday, May 25, 2020

Telehealth is my new best friend

On Sunday March 22, I stopped face-to-face sessions completely and went entirely online (telehealth). I decided at some point that I would do only online until the end of May and then re-assess. May is almost over, so I've been looking at statistics and thinking about safety, and have decided to stay solely online for now.

I know that some of my folks really prefer in-person sessions. Honestly, I do too. I find that it can be harder to connect with someone over the computer, and lately I've felt more tired than usual at the end of the day. However, safety is the top priority, and right now I think that dictates continued quarantining for my household and business.

I think the city opened back up too soon. Now, that is probably easier for me to say than for some folks. I have continued to work throughout the quarantine. I am able to do my work online just fine. My wife continues to work so our income really hasn't changed. I am definitely blessed as a small business owner to be able to work under these circumstances as so many other small business owners are in a very different place financially. I don't know what the right answer is; actually, I don't think there is a right answer. Keeping the city closed longer probably would be the right decision health-wise, but opening back up, at least to some extent, is better for business (at least in the short-term).

Even though the city is now mostly open, I don't have to re-enter myself. I have chosen to continue to self-quarantine; I do believe that is the right decision for myself, my family, and my business. Because I work in my home, if a client was infected but didn't know it, my family is at a higher risk of being exposed than if I worked in an office somewhere. I won't put my family in danger. However, it isn't all about my family. If I had a single client who was positive for Covid-19, then over the course of two weeks I would expose at least 50 people (besides my family) and that is definitely not something I am willing to do. So for now, I am going to keep my practice 100% online.

I don't know when this will change. I am tentatively saying I will be only telehealth until the end of June. Now, if I believe that we get to a safe place for face-to-face before the end of June, then I may shift to face-to-face sooner. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

For those of you who prefer telehealth, I don't know if it will continue to be an option per insurance once we are past the Covid-19 crisis. If insurance continues to cover it, then I will be happy to continue to do it. Prior to the pandemic I already did telehealth if insurance wasn't involved. It may be that we'll be able to continue doing it, with insurance coverage, post pandemic; again, we'll just have to see how this plays out.

All of you, please stay safe. I think the best practice is to continue to wear face-masks right now when in public, and to limit social interactions, but I don't get to make the rules if you don't live in my house (heck, I live with two teenagers, I'm not sure I make the rules for them anymore given that I am now a stupid parent who knows NOTHING about their trials and tribulations). In any case, stay safe, and one of these days I look forward to seeing you again in person.


No comments:

Post a Comment