Monday, April 10, 2017

Religion and Psychotherapy

We live in a time where religion/spirituality is sometimes seen as not belonging. We are likely aware of the frequent disagreement about the role of religion in our government. Controversies around laws with religious content are very common at the moment. However, this isn't primarily a political blog, it is a blog about psychology. Another question we sometimes have to deal with is the role of religion/spirituality in the therapy room.



To be completely transparent, I am a Christian. I was raised in the United Methodist Church, and I continue to identify with that denomination today. Recently I have also been incorporating some additional spirituality into my life, meditation practices that could be considered more a part of Buddhist thought. Thus, religion and spirituality are important parts of my personal life.

As important as religion and spirituality are to me personally, when I am working with a client, my beliefs are not relevant. Early in my work with an individual I will ask them about their personal religious/spiritual beliefs. If they do have beliefs that are important in their life, I need to know so that our work can include their beliefs (as relevant). If they don't have specific beliefs, then our work won't include a spiritual component.

Living in the South, religion (Christianity) is a very visible part of the landscape. We don't have to go far to see multiple churches of varying denominations. However, there are folks who are not interested in religion, possibly because it has never been a part of their life, and possibly because they have been hurt by the religious beliefs of others. For these individuals it is inappropriate to expect psychotherapy to include religion; it is unethical for a therapist to try to include religious beliefs when the client does not want that.

Religious beliefs/spirituality are very personal endeavors. If you are contemplating therapy and want religion to be included, make that known to the therapist. If you do not want religious thought to inform your therapy, make that known as well. It is appropriate for you to ask your therapist how they utilize religion in the therapy room, and if their response isn't comfortable for you, then that therapist is not a good fit for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment