Thursday, July 18, 2019

Concerns around social media


It is a fairly safe bet that most folks nowadays use social media. I have a Facebook account (clearly, since many of you are probably reading this on it). There are a number of others; Facebook is the one I am most familiar with. Social media comes up frequently enough in sessions that I have seen, over and over again, some of the negative impacts it can have on our lives. Here are a few of the most common.

It perpetuates drama.
I doubt anyone is shocked by this one. Drama in all its glory can and does happen there, and in some ways, it is worse than things that happen in person. Because we feel protected by our computer screen, we may type things online that we wouldn’t actually say to a person. We may see things that wasn’t intended for us. Actual dialogue rarely happens, and it isn’t difficult to find ourselves the bottom of a dog-pile if we share an opinion that on this particular post is in the minority.

Quick, easy access to news that isn’t always accurate or current
I try really hard not to ever post or share news without double or triple-checking to make sure it is accurate and current. I know I’ve slipped up, and it can be really easy to click share before confirming something. At the very least, even if the news we see is accurate, it probably reflects the beliefs of its source; at the worst, it can be absolutely false. For a while I used Facebook as a news source, but I’ve given that up. I’m going to have to go elsewhere to check it anyway, so might as well start with a more trust-worthy source.

It creates and exacerbates depression and anxiety
Depending on the day and time, we may be flooded with negative images, bad news, and scary prospects. The folks I work with say on a regular basis that they feel worse after looking social media. It doesn’t take a Ph.D. in psychology to realize social media may be significantly impacting us in some pretty negative ways.

These days I don’t pay much attention to the news on Facebook, at least that of the political variety. If you post pictures of your furry critters, I guarantee at least a like. I post plenty of my own. I pay much more attention to the “lighter” posts, or the posts made by individuals I actually know that has actual content in it. I also limit myself to how much time I spend on it. I urge you to consider how and how much you use social media, and the potential negative effects it may be having on you. Connection with others online is fine, but connection with another individual (or furry critter!!!) in the same space in time with you is better. Way better. So quit chatting (or arguing) on social media and talk to the real person who is sitting across the table from you. Seriously, if you are in a restaurant with someone stay off your phone. Close up the cyberworld and live in the real world. It matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment