Sunday, January 29, 2017

Carrie Fisher on mental illness

I'm fine, but I'm bipolar. I'm on seven medications, and I take medication three times a day. This constantly puts me in touch with the illness I have. I'm never quite allowed to be free of that for a day. It's like being a diabetic.
Carrie Fisher
If you know me at all, you know I am a supreme Star Wars fan, and adore Carrie Fisher. I quote her here, however, because she was open and unapologetic about having mental illness, and sometimes really struggling with it. We live in a society with such a stigma around mental illness, such that it can be quite embarrassing for folks to admit they do, or even that they are in counseling.
If you are struggling with things in your life, be it mental illness or something else for which you are considering therapy, please know that the real strength lies in facing your demons and reaching out for the help that you need. It's okay if you don't want to be public about it, but do what you need to do to take care of yourself. You're worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment