Sunday, January 29, 2017

The reason for Hiestand Psychological Services

In May 2015 I learned that OutMemphis (what was then the Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center) received numerous calls from individuals trying to get mental health services but having a difficult time finding professionals willing to work with them. From this conversation I established Hiestand Psychological Services, because people wanting mental health therapy shouldn't be turned away by therapists because of who or how they love, or because of their gender identity.

I earned my Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Psychology from the University of Memphis. I am licensed by the Tennessee Board of Psychology as a licensed psychologist, mental health practitioner, having fulfilled all the requirements for this designation. I am a member in good standing of the American Psychological Association.

I offer services including therapy/counseling for individuals, couples, families, and groups. As a psychologist, I do not provide any medications or perform any medical treatments. If medication seems indicated, I maintain close working relationships with a number of physicians and psychiatrists and I will gladly refer you to these practitioners.

My theoretical orientation is Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT). This is a very effective therapy for a vast number of concerns, and its effectiveness has extensive support in evidence-based research. When working with one or more individuals, I typically conceptualize things in terms of thoughts and behaviors, how they influence each other, and how one can be changed to help the individual(s) feel better. While I focus more on thoughts and behaviors, I am also skilled and comfortable working with emotions, and when that is warranted, I will focus in that realm.

I have extensive experience working in a number of areas, including depression, anxiety, relationship and family problems, LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) issues, basic life concerns such as transitions in employment and education, bipolar disorder, personality disorders, schizophrenia, grief, mental retardation, and post-traumatic stress disorder. I am competent to work with individuals with any diagnosis recognized by the psychological/psychiatric community. I typically work with adults, and will see anyone age 16 and above for any reason. For individuals seeking services for LGBT concerns, I will make a decision on a case-by-case basis.

One potential benefit of therapy is the ability to detect, challenge, and change those beliefs and attitudes that create, maintain, and worsen conditions such as depression, anxiety, panic, anger, frustration, fear, etc. Sometimes there are potential risks when entering any therapy relationship. Some people may experience a degree of discomfort, feelings of sadness, anxiety, anger, etc. when working through difficult issues. Some may recall unpleasant aspects of their life and at times, report feeling worse before feeling better. My desire is for people to be strengthened individually and in their relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment