Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Breathe in, breathe out...

Breathing. We all do it, but are we doing it right? I'm going to keep this short, because this is going to be an ongoing dialogue for me. I've been learning biofeedback, which I referenced in a previous post. It is a technique that allows us to reset neural connections in a beneficial way, and we do it by breathing a certain way. Most of us have heard of meditation, and we know it is based in breathing, and some claim it is extremely beneficial. Some folks do yoga, and breathing is an important part of that. Breathing is utilized in hypnotherapy and progressive muscle relaxation. I am sure there are other techniques and such that utilize breathing in a therapeutic way that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

My recent research on and personal use of biofeedback has convinced me of the definite benefits of that technique specifically, and I think it makes the other techniques I mentioned likely more valid. At this point my focus is biofeedback, and I may incorporate a bit of hypnotherapy into my work. I'm also seriously considering trying yoga myself to see how that works for me. As I learn new things about breathing, I plan to share them here. Regular "talk therapy" like cognitive behavioral therapy, are still definitely very effective treatment methods, and I'm not going to stop doing CBT. I will be incorporating more of some of the other techniques into my work though, and I really think a lot of folks I am working with are going to benefit greatly from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment