Monday, February 20, 2017

Can Politics and Hope coexist for LGBT Americans?

Politics. I tend to not discuss politics too much. Well, that used to be the case, but recently politics have become much more important and personal to many of us. I know that many of us are really struggling with things that have been done (immigration, healthcare) and things that we are afraid might be done. I'm with many of you in worrying about what steps might be taken that will prove harmful to us as LGBT folks. I want to be comforted knowing that the executive order preventing discrimination in government is going to be left in place. However, I am very aware that so many other things could - and very well will - happen.
I wish I could tell you that things are going to be okay. I do believe that our lives are going to be made more difficult, both by the federal government and by the Tennessee legislature. Even so, I know that our community is far more organized than we have ever been before. I know that we have more allies than we have ever had before. I know that the majority of the general population approves of gay marriage. I believe that they can make our lives harder for a while, but I don't believe they take back the progress we have made, not permanently anyway. In the past I haven't been especially politically active, but I am planning to go to Nashville to speak out as a psychologist against any bills they try to pass against us. I'm not the only person who is now far more politically aware and active than I used to be. Together we will fight back against whatever they try to put in place, and even if it takes a little time, I truly believe that we will prevail.
Like many of us sometimes I feel very afraid, very uncertain about our futures as LGBT Americans. There are days it is harder for me to hold onto this hope, but I have seen what we have accomplished so far so I know we will continue to overcome. I'm not telling you not to worry. I am telling you to be ready to stand up and fight, and if we do this, we will reclaim any progress lost and continue to march ahead. That is what we will do as LGBT Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment