Friday, August 11, 2017

Why can't boys wear dresses?????

I haven't posted in a while. I suppose my excuse is I have been really busy, and that is true. For a while I also struggled with coming up with something to write about that people might actually be interested in. If there is anything you are interested in that you would like me to address, please let me know. I'm happy to answer questions or write about subjects folks want to know more about, so just let me know.

Recently I read a couple articles about boys (children or adolescents) who wear dresses. The articles didn't identify the kids as necessarily transgender; they seemed to just be boys who like to wear dresses sometimes, and had parents who would let them do that. I imagine some of the kids may be transgender, but not all of them. Boys (or men) who want to wear dresses (or make-up, or skirts, or blouses, or panties) may not feel like or identify as women. Plenty of women wear pants (or ties, or loafers, or no make-up) but don't feel like men. It is now basically accepted for women to wear "men's" clothing; why is it still such a big deal if a boy or man wants to wear "women's" clothing?

I think one of the big issues is that it is seen as stepping up for a woman to present as more male, while it is seen as a step down for a man to present in a way expected only for women. To my mind there is absolutely no difference between me wearing the clothes I do (men's) and cisgender men wearing dresses. Absolutely - No - Difference. Why do people get so angry about it when parents let their kids dress the way they want? Boys used to wear dresses as an accepted part of culture. Blue used to be the "girl" color and pink was the "boy" color. These have changed, but why the rigid rules around color and clothes?

I find myself really losing patience with the anger that often is expressed if a parent allows their son to wear a dress because the kid wants to. Are we seriously so uptight about our boys not being the epitome of masculinity that is typically forced on anyone born with a penis? Seriously? If a boy wants to wear a dress, let him wear a dress. Maybe he is transgender and this is the first step she is taking towards being herself. Maybe he is just a boy who wants to wear a dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment